Club Executives & Directors
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by President Rich Bergdahl, John Woodbery your scribe for tonight led the Pledge of Allegiance and Dan Bartel gave the inspiration moment as a report from having watched the Steve Jobs movie which gave recognition to creative people working as teams who just see things differently. Our new digital world is probably the result.
Mekonen Giogis served as greeter tonight and yours truly as Scribe.
Our guests tonight included Dr. Arun Jhaveri, certified sustainable development professional and the first mayor of Burien, Washington from 1992-1998. Also joining us was Jorgni Ramis (SP?) a Bellevue Lunch Club visiting Rotarian who works in Information Technology and supports what are called "Inspiration Playgrounds" for kids with disabilities who with these helps can feel included in social life. Carly Taylor from Bellevue High School is our Student of the Month for November. Also joining us as Scott Becker's guest was Michael Oskouian an insurance broker with Willis of Seattle, Inc.
- For Ann Hamilton not present, the Lake Washington School of Technology benefit lunch is November 3rd.
- Don Dicks announced the Club's hands on work project for Attain Housing, a program to refurbish housing units for the next short term resident seeking an avenue back into responsible and productive life in the community. Volunteers needed for this weekend; contact Don for location and details.
- Steve Shinstrom announced that the annual Bunco party at his house will be November 14th, theme is crazy hats so surprise us!
- Scott Rethke announced that the night before is a warm up event at Total Wine in Bellevue: 6:30-8:30 beer and wine available.
- Dave Debois announced hockey night in Everett on Saturday December 5th. More details as to where to assemble for a pre game meal to be announced.
- Rich Bergdahl announced that the Club's $50,000 donation will be presented to the City of Kirkland on November 17th and requested some past presidents to accompany him.
- Eric Olsen, now retired as Chief of Police of Kirkland thanked those who came to his retirement party and reported somewhat on his new life.
- Joanne Primavera presented Attain Housing formally called KITH. Kirkland Rotarians are asked to volunteer to help fix up a house. No skills necessary. Once the house is occupied then Rotary will also “adopt” the family. The dates of changed to a possible date of November 4 – 8th. Don Dicks has a checklist of what will be needed. Please sign up.
- Scott Becker announced that Nigeria is now Polio free. This will clear the entire continent of Africa from Polio.
- Pat Swenson called for reading buddies and John Muir elementary. The programs starts soon (November 2nd) so please contact Pat if you can help.
- Anne Hamilton reminded Rotarians that the LW Institute of Technology will be holding their breakfast. For information on how to attend, please contact Anne.
- Steve Shinstrom announced that Bunko is scheduled at his house on November 14th. The theme is “Hatastic”. Rotarians are encouraged to where their favorite hat or get creative and have fun with a new design. Signup sheets are on the table.
- Rich Bergdahl will be holding the Christmas party at his home on Sunday December 13th. Festivities will begin 5:30ish. Rotary meeting will still be held on Monday the 14th.
- Rich welcomed back Steve Shinstrom, Anne Hamilton, and Mike Hunter who have been out for a few weeks. Gary Bruner is improving and appreciates all of the well wishes.
- Ben’s grandfather was recently diagnosed with a terminal form of cancer. He has been moved into hospice. Herb Stier’s phone number is 210-260-1985 for anyone that would like to call him.
- On Tuesday November 17th, Kirkland Rotary will be presenting $50,000 check to the Kirkland City Council. Rich is going to ask any previous presidents who helped raise the money during their tenure to attend. The money will be used for the Waverly Beach Picnic Shelter.
- Dave Dubois provided the date for the annual hockey night. There are 50 seats reserved December 5th Everett Silver Tips. More details and signup sheets to follow
- Brian Tucker directed Happy Dollars. $160 was raised for Happy Dollars. Great job Brian!